|Microsoft® Support Ending Dates for Retail/OEM Consumer/SOHO Operating Systems and Front Office Software|
|Operating Systems||Mainstream Support Ends||Extended Support Ends|
|Windows 101||October 13, 2020||October 14, 2025|
|Windows 8.x2||January 9, 2018||January 10, 2023|
|Windows 73||Expired||January 14, 2020|
|Windows Vista||Expired||April 11, 2017|
|1) Free upgrades
to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 via Windows Update are available through July
2) Windows 8.0 support ended January 12, 2016. To receive continued support, users must upgrade to Windows 8.1.
3) Windows 7 Professional is offered as an option with OEM business brands such as Dell Vostro. PCs with Windows 7 Professional will go off sale October 31, 2016. Service Pack 1 is required for security update support.
|Internet Explorer||Support Ends|
|Internet Explorer 11||October 14, 2025|
|Internet Explorer 9 on Windows Vista SP2||April 11, 2017|
|Internet Explorer 10, 9, 8 and 7||Expired|
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook,
OneNote, Access and Publisher
|Mainstream Support Ends||Extended Support Ends|
|Office Online (sans Access & Publisher)||Ongoing||Not applicable|
|Office 365 1||Ongoing||Not applicable|
|Office 2016 2 for Windows/Mac||October 13, 2020||October 14, 2025 2|
|Office 2013 3||April 10, 2018||April 11, 2023|
|Office 2011 for Mac||October 10, 2017||Not applicable|
|Office 2010 and Office Starter 4||Expired||October 13, 2020|
|Office 2007||Expired||April 11, 2017|
|1) Office 365 is a home and
small-business subscription based service compatible with Office 2013, Office 2010
and Office 2007 and supported by
Windows 8.x, Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.6 and later and iPad iOS 7.0 and
later. Office 365 Home is the best deal for home users
with multiple PCs seeking the latest Office version.
2) Office 2016 for Windows is compatible with Windows 7 and later Microsoft operating systems. Office 2016 for Mac does not receive extended support.
3) Office 2013 is supported in 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Office 2013 is not compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista.
4) Office 2010 was offered in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. 32-bit versions are supported by Windows 7, Windows Vista SP2 and Windows XP SP3 operating systems. Office 2010 64-bit versions are not supported by any version of Windows XP.
Microsoft Office Starter 2010 included limited versions of Microsoft Word 2010 and Microsoft Excel 2010. No longer generally available, Office Starter 2010 was offered in 32-bit and 64-bit versions with an OEM End User License Agreement (EULA) preinstalled from Dell, HP, and others. Office Starter 2010 may be upgraded to a fully functional version of Office 2010 via online purchase. Because Office Starter 2010 includes setup files for full versions and is considered a business product, it's eligible for extended support.
policy is to provide critical security updates via Microsoft Update or
Windows Update sites through the full Extended Support period. At Microsoft's option,
compatibility updates may be provided during extended support.
This document consists of elements of Microsoft support policy and is believed to be reasonably accurate as of April 28, 2016.
Items listed above in bold are available retail and/or OEM wide-release products eligible for Mainstream Support. OEM versions sold with Acer, eMachines, Gateway, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo and other computers are not eligible for telephone support from Microsoft. Consumers must contact their computer manufacturer for operating system assistance.
To receive the full period of Extended Support from Microsoft, the latest operating system/office suite service pack must be installed.
Consumer versions of Internet Explorer browser are offered with operating systems. IE 11 is the only supported version for Windows 10, 8.1 and 7. IE 9 is supported on Windows Vista Service Pack 2 through April 11, 2017.